Greg's general guide to rock drums for NEWBIES!

This is true of guitar parts too. I know its easier to do re-takes with guitar, but that's no reason to do take after take and go stitching together the best bits. If you keeping cocking up your takes, practice for a bit and even write down where the changes are. I did that with the acoustic piece I stuck in the clinic on the weekend - I can never remember boring acoustic chord sequences, so I just practised the picking pattern, and wrote down the chord sequences on a bit of paper. I don't know if this is easy to do when you're playing drums.

A better solution would be to destroy that stupid campfire hippie guitar, burn the pieces, and never go there again .

I keep my screen in the same room.. ancient chinese secret. ;)

Me too, but even with a 24" screen, at 1080 lines of resolution the screen becomes very difficult to navigate from more than a few feet away. I do use a wireless mouse, but with a lot of squinting and misplaced clicks. And that's just for trying to click the biggest, reddest button on the screen. Forget about doing anything more fiddly like adjusting track volume or muting/soloing stuff.

I wouldn't mind a remote screen and mouse.....or a super long USB cable. I could just take a laptop back there with me. Does data degrade or die or anything through a long USB cable?

I wouldn't mind a remote screen and mouse.....or a super long USB cable. I could just take a laptop back there with me. Does data degrade or die or anything through a long USB cable?

I've got a wireless bluetooth keyboard and mouse - seems to work pretty well.

USB has a maximum range of somewhere around 15 feet. Past that, it'll get pretty unreliable unless you use a powered repeater of some sort. That's the main drawback of USB, the relatively short cable runs. That's what makes the tablet remote app a more attractive option to me. I'm just tired of squinting from the drum throne!

I've got a wireless bluetooth keyboard and mouse - seems to work pretty well.

What about the monitor? That's what I'd really want. Wireless mouse and monitor. I can't see the screen when drumming. Not that I even need to, but I suppose it'd be cool to see it and be able to stop and go with a mouse from behind the kit.

USB has a maximum range of somewhere around 15 feet. Past that, it'll get pretty unreliable unless you use a powered repeater of some sort. That's the main drawback of USB, the relatively short cable runs. That's what makes the tablet remote app a more attractive option to me. I'm just tired of squinting from the drum throne!

Sounds good. I don't have a tablet though. I don't see buying one just for this. Maybe I can commandeer one of the kids' tablets.

What about the monitor? That's what I'd really want. Wireless mouse and monitor. I can't see the screen when drumming. Not that I even need to, but I suppose it'd be cool to see it and be able to stop and go with a mouse from behind the kit.

Ah, I don't have a monitor as such. My computer is connected to my 40 odd inch Samsung TV

Me too, but even with a 24" screen, at 1080 lines of resolution the screen becomes very difficult to navigate from more than a few feet away. I do use a wireless mouse, but with a lot of squinting and misplaced clicks. And that's just for trying to click the biggest, reddest button on the screen. Forget about doing anything more fiddly like adjusting track volume or muting/soloing stuff.

I put a 32" screen around the middle of the room.. And apparently I have awesome eyesight.

I've got a 30" tv for my monitor now, & the screen is big enough to see everything from my little e-kit...I also have a 30' USB cable, & have had no problems with the data transfer or whatever. I did a bit of reading before I bought all that, & anything over 30' usually requires some kind of repeater thing. I also have 2 wireless mice, one for my desk, & one on a little table beside the e-kit...
Everything works pretty good, except my drumming...:laughings:

Since I mentioned the tv, I've got 2 monitors now, & can run 'em both with the new pc, but I don't know how to get the mixer on one screen, & the track panel on the other in Reaper....Off topic, but any of you guys know how to do this???

I've got a 30" tv for my monitor now, & the screen is big enough to see everything from my little e-kit...I also have a 30' USB cable, & have had no problems with the data transfer or whatever. I did a bit of reading before I bought all that, & anything over 30' usually requires some kind of repeater thing. I also have 2 wireless mice, one for my desk, & one on a little table beside the e-kit...
Everything works pretty good, except my drumming...:laughings:

Since I mentioned the tv, I've got 2 monitors now, & can run 'em both with the new pc, but I don't know how to get the mixer on one screen, & the track panel on the other in Reaper....Off topic, but any of you guys know how to do this???

No kidding, a 30' USB cable? Wow, I didn't know they even made them that long. Glad it's working, that makes me curious...

I hear ya on the drumming part. Since I suck at the drums, it takes me many takes to get drums composed, rehearsed, and tracked. If I had to get up and walk to the computer every time, I'd die of exhaustion before I recorded a keeper :D

As for the dual-monitor setup, in Reaper you can un-dock the mixer from the main window. Then you just drag it over to the other monitor and maximize it. To un-dock it, I think that you can just right-click it and uncheck a box in the context menu and it'll break free of its default docked position.

No kidding, a 30' USB cable? Wow, I didn't know they even made them that long. Glad it's working, that makes me curious...

I hear ya on the drumming part. Since I suck at the drums, it takes me many takes to get drums composed, rehearsed, and tracked. If I had to get up and walk to the computer every time, I'd die of exhaustion before I recorded a keeper :D

Yeah dude, they've got 'em on amazon, that's where I got mine, & it does work. I usually just run it on the floor from the computer to the kit, but I've probably got enough slack left to tuck it in under the baseboards nicely, & leave a little tail, so I can just plug it in when I wanna...The cable has a built-in repeater, & it's pretty cheap IMO:

https://www.amazon.com/Extension-Pr...&qid=1465926449&sr=1-6&keywords=30'+usb+cable

I also use a couple headphone cable extensions too, you can find these at any Wal-mart for about $5...

When I'm not using 'em, I just keep them rolled up on top of the hi-hat pad with a couple velcro cable ties...
As for the dual-monitor setup, in Reaper you can un-dock the mixer from the main window. Then you just drag it over to the other monitor and maximize it. To un-dock it, I think that you can just right-click it and uncheck a box in the context menu and it'll break free of its default docked position.

Ok man, thanks, I'll have to try that...I actually need to buy a wall mount thing & start using both, right now I've only got one connected, but I do know they work with this pc, I had 'em both running just a few days ago...

Back