good overhead and kick drum mic placement..... HEEEEEEEEEEELP!!!!!!!!!!

wjgypsy

HELLO. I'M TRYING TO GET A REAL BASIC OVERHEAD SOUND(LOUD BUT,SOFT CYMBALS,LOW FREQ TOMS,ECT,ECT)

I'V TRI'ED PLACE OF ONE OVER THE HI-HAT/SNARE AND ONE OVER MY FLOOR TOM/RIDE. I PLACE MY KICK DRUM MIC INSIDE THE KICK ABOUT 3-4" FROM THE BACK HEAD. AND I RECORDED IT AND PLAYED IT BACK AND IT SOUNDED BAD,BAD,BAD. THE OVERHEADS WAS PICKING UP TO MUCH OF THE BACK KICK HEAD AND THAT (BLENDED WITH THE KICK MIC) MADE A REAL LOUD BONG SOUND,SO I PULLED THE OVERHEADS DOWN AND PULL THE KICK UP AND IT SOUNDED BETTER BUT, STILL NOT WHAT I WANTED. THE OVERHEAD DID PICK UP THE SNARE RELL NICE THOUGH. I HAD A SM57 ON THE SNARE AND I COMPRESSED THE HELL OUT OF IT. THAT BLENDED WITH THE OVERHEADS SOUNDED RILL NICE, BUT THE KICK DRUM SUCKED.

ABOUT THE KICK I'M WANTING TO GET A REAL LOUD BASSY LOW-END SOUND THAT WILL BE HEARD IN THE MIX. FOR A SAMPLE OF THIS SOUND LISTEN TO NICKELBACK'S NEW SONG CALLED.....
"THE WAY YOU REMIDE ME" OF THERE NEW ALBUM "SILVERSIDE UP" TO HERE THIS GO TO WWW.NICKELBACK.COM

OR IT MY BE AT WWW.MP3.COM ???DUNO???

ANY WAY HERE'S WHAT I GOT TO WORK WITH...

FOSTEX VF-16 16-TR RECORDER.
8 CHANNELS (TWO WITH PH POWER)
8 CHANNELS OF PARAMITRIC EQ
2 CHANNELS OF COMPRESSION/LIMITING/GATE
NADY SCM900 MIC AND SOME V-TECH MIC(I USE THESE TWO FOR MY OVERHEADS. BUT I PLAN TO BY 2 AKG C1000S SOON.)
SHURE SM57
SHURE BETA 52
AQURIAN SUPER KICK DRUM HEAD(BACK)
REMO MUFF KICK HEAD(FRONT)

IS THERE ANY WAY TO DO WHAT I WANT WITH THIS???

THANKS

P.S. SORRY ABOUT THE LONG POST.

You could try moving the overhead mics back from the kick (placed approx. to the left and right of the drummers ears - like the mics a looking over the drummers shoulders). You will have to adjust the mics to get the best stereo seperation you can (which will be limited).

If stereo seperation is not critical, you could try one overhead from over the drummers shoulder and the other "overhead" in front of the drums (maybe 5' or so) to try to capture the room sound - however, if you don't have a decent sounding room this may not help at all.

There have been several recent threads on this site re: mic placement with three mics - have you looked at any of that info??

Have you looked at the thread I have on here about "fat drums"? ITs a good start, and if the kick is booming and riniging out, deaden in and make yourself a tunnel. If the kick doesnt sound like you want it now, it wont sound that way recorded.

Well, the first thing I would do is turn the caps lock off.:p

Seriously try the method that tubedude suggests in this thread.

I've gotten some surprisingly good results with just 2 ECM's as overs and a 57 inside the kick on the pillow about 2" from the batter head for the attack.

YMMV

If there isnt a hole in the front head already, cut one. . .stick the Beta 52 in as far as you can and aim it towards where the beater hits. Try thats, and get it in there nice and far. . . you can experiment with the parametric. This has always given me a good sound. . .the other option is to stick it just outside the hole. Try both. Try adding some more compression too. . .

Back