Fruity Loops - unquantizing the sound?

Mountainmirrors

kaleidoscopic renegade
Hi-
The only gripe I have with Fruity Loops is that it's tough to come up with a beat that doesn't sound very mechanical. Any suggestions? Thanks!

What I do is for various beats is change the volume so it doesn't sound as perfect. Also for fills eg.tom fills, I'll put the the first beat down in volume a bit.

And I also put a bit of reverb to add ambience.

You might also want to get some new samples. The ones with fruity loops are not that good. Try searching on this board for drum samples.

Tukkis

You want to mess with the graph edit section (I think that's what it's called). With that you can adjust the pan, volume, resonance, cutoff, and most importantly, the shift of each note.

and most importantly, the shift of each note.

Another good point. You can move the beats so they don't start exactly on the right beat but a tiny bit after. This will make it sound not as perfect and as mechanical.

Tukkis

With shift a quarter of the way up the bar means that you'll shift the beat a quarter beat ahead. Half is half a beat ahead and if you move the bar all the way to the top you have moved the beat one whole beat to the next one.

I usually only move the bar about 1/8th of the bar to make it sound real.

Tukkis

I have tried cloning a drum 1 or 2 times then playing with the pan if it was say a bass kick or setting each to a different vol. for say a snare roll.

Back