Expanding the Roland TD-11K

flutte

I'll blatantly self-promote a series of articles, outlining my experiences of building a home studio on a budget.

In my first article, I try to summarize the best knowledge on acoustic treatment for hobby studios. In the second article, I unlock the secrets on expanding the Roland TD-11 entry-level electronic drum kit.

Expanding an entry-level electronic drum kit is hard, but not impossible using creative thinking. In a series of articles I will describe how to convert a Roland TD-11 kit into a Neil Peart sized kit.

I’m a hobby drummer since several years, having owned three different kits.

With a move pending from a house to a condo, I recently replaced my old TAMA Swingstar kit with an electronic Roland kit.

I wanted to be able to expand the kit, but didn’t have the €7.000 for a TD-30KV V-Drum Pro Set. So I had to compromise and read up on the alternatives. Eventually, I settled for a TD-11K for €1.000. Quite far from my dream kit, but realistic.

So, what about extensions? Having downloaded the manuals for the kit beforehand, I knew it had an unused crash 2 input that could be used used for a third cymbal or fourth pad.

Quite immediately, I added a dedicated 3-zone CY-13R Ride cymbal and a MDY-25 boom, using the original ride cymbal as a secondary crash in the crash 2 input.

At this point, the kit was maxed out in terms of inputs. But, there are some hidden gems in the TD-11 module. Read the full article and related articles on my webpage, and you'll find out how to add even more cymbals and cowbells without spending a penny on extra hardware!

Back