Drum Storage

miroslav

Cosmic Cowboy
I have a pretty large studio kit setup...double kicks, 2 FT, 6 RT...etc...etc...(I don't know, I think they had sex and multiplied), and it does take up a good chunk of space, plus, there's not a lot of use for all those drum pieces.
I mean, there's not too many Neil Peart fills called for in the majority of my recordings. :D
Seeing how my guitar amps must also be having sex and multiplying...I need some more room for them. :p
So...I decided to downsize the studio kit somewhat, and go with a more basic 5-6 piece setup.

My questions is this...in order to stack up the unused drums in as little space as possible, I find that removing the heads and just stacking the shells one inside the other creates the smallest footprint, but I was wondering if that would hurt the shells in the long run, not having the heads/tension...?

It's all going to stay in my climate controlled studio...so I'm not putting the extra drums out in the garage or attic or anything...so I don't see why the shells would be harmed in any way without the heads on them...but...I've never done this before, so I thought I would see what other people do.

Agree with greg, my only input is to store them rim side down and not on end (like a bass drum normally sits when you play it). Just so it doesn't go out of round. Although I'm guessing if you are keeping at least one head on them it will be fine either way.

I just keep all my extra drum crap off in the corner. Kind of annoying haveing another 3 toms and kick off tot the side but for now I have the room so it doesn't bug me. :guitar:

I took both heads off...it let me stack them more compactly...and yes, I have them rims vertical.
They should be fine...they're right next to my old Hammond organ, which gets babied, so everything is safe. :)

If they are in your actual recording space, consider putting some towels or other lightweight cloth between the drums. I kept ending up with weird hums and rattles in recordings only to find out later during mix down.

Yeah..I did that.

Even for the drums that are still set up in the studio, when not in use, I put a chunk of foam on the heads, and then drop a towel over each drum and cymbal to keep the resonances and rattles down, since I don't have a dedicated "drum room"...so when I'm cranking my guitars, or doing vocals, I have to watch out for stuff like that with all the gear/instruments that are in the same space.

Back