Drum setup for my tiny studio.

Bottom line, I have access to a mid range acoustic set, but for most recording, I use an Alesis pro USB set that I added a dm-8 module to a couple of years back - because I was not yet into computer based recording. The dm-8 sounds pretty good, but now that I have upgraded to full blown computer recording (from all in one MTR's) I am ready to up my game by adding software. I like to idea of a drum trigger replacer like Slate trigger, for those drummers who insist on using acoustics. But I also need a midi drum program like Toontracks Superior or SSD Platinum. These are the two I've read the most about so far. My main question is how hard and time consuming would it be to lay down midi tracks using the dm8 or the trigger i/o, that came with the set, then assign drum sounds to those tracks using Slate trigger instead of buying both software packages. I guess with the dm8 I could use a basic kit for monitoring or a 'scatch' drum track if you will. Any alternate ideas would be appreciated.

Didn't mean it like that!

You say that like it's a bad thing.

I said it wrong. I absolutely meant no disrespect. I admire good drummers. If I ever pick up the sticks it sound like I'm trying to drum with my feet - horrible. And for the record, I never try to push electric drums on a paying client if they don't want to consider them. I have a space problem and a full blown acoustic set takes up 1/4 of the space with no isolation. That's all.

Last edited:
Back