Drum programming software between $150 and $200?

twangbuck

Need a recommendation on drum programming software. I need something that sounds realistic, allows me to include mic bleed through, and that will allow me to program a drum track by scratch in addition to letting me work with prerecorded grooves. The sounds I'm after would be similar to Max Weinberg, Kenny Aranoff, that kind of thing.
MIDI drum mapping would be nice but isn't essential. I'm not into electronic music so I don't need a lot of sounds or features that would apply to that.
I know about Superior Drummer, but I'm not convinced I want to spend $300. I'm thinking more between $150 and $200. I also don't know if I need quite as much as SD offers, though I'm thinking I need more than EZ Drummer offers.
I'm running a Win 7 machine, 64 bit, with cubase le5.
Any suggestions? Thanks!

Steven Slate Platinum 4 has some really good sounds, but I hate the clumsy and confusing interface. There are a ton of kits that come with it, although I really only find a handful actually suitable. Looks like it's selling for $149 from Slate's website. Might be right up your alley.

I really like Superior Drummer 2, although the default package only comes with a single kit. It's a good sounding kit, and there are options for alternate drums/cymbals for each kit piece, but for the price I'd like to see them toss in another full kit or two. But the mic placement options are pretty incredible, and it's expandable with both Superior Drummer and EZDrummer expansion packs, and the interface is much more user-friendly than SSD4. I think that it's a great drum sampler.

I will agree that SSD4 interface leaves something to be desired. The sounds are great tho. Especially the cymbals are better to me than EZD/Superior/Addictive Drums.

If I had a second choice over SSD4 as far as interface, I would choose Addictive Drums. I own both and have used EZD in the past. I have not personally used Superior. Just giving opinion from what I have heard here.

I will agree that SSD4 interface leaves something to be desired. The sounds are great tho. Especially the cymbals are better to me than EZD/Superior/Addictive Drums.

If I had a second choice over SSD4 as far as interface, I would choose Addictive Drums. I own both and have used EZD in the past. I have not personally used Superior. Just giving opinion from what I have heard here.

I took a long break from using SSD4 after I got Superior. You know that I had my reservations with SSD4 when I first got it :D When I came back to SSD4 after a few months, I was really impressed with the drum sounds in it all over again. There are some really great snares, and some really great crash and ride cymbals in it. Something about the volume envelope of those crashes are a notch above the other sample libraries that I've used. They don't sound like a trash can lid being banged by a caveman like most of EZD's do, and there's much more variety than the default SD2 options. I even played around with the electronic kits in SSD4 for a project and I thought they sounded good for what they were. I'm still searching for the perfect acoustic kick though...something that's not too clicky but still cuts through in a mix when played on small speakers.

I took a long break from using SSD4 after I got Superior. You know that I had my reservations with SSD4 when I first got it :D When I came back to SSD4 after a few months, I was really impressed with the drum sounds in it all over again. There are some really great snares, and some really great crash and ride cymbals in it. Something about the volume envelope of those crashes are a notch above the other sample libraries that I've used. They don't sound like a trash can lid being banged by a caveman like most of EZD's do, and there's much more variety than the default SD2 options. I even played around with the electronic kits in SSD4 for a project and I thought they sounded good for what they were. I'm still searching for the perfect acoustic kick though...something that's not too clicky but still cuts through in a mix when played on small speakers.

I bet you will find that in SSTrigger Platinum. Never ending spending spree... Lol

I just xposted a thread I made in a different forum to user contributions. Good place to start on this topic as it has examples of many of the available software libraries on the market right now.

It's not letting me post the steven slate stuff...

I love vbulletin. Maybe I'll PM Jimmy and have him add it. It's trying to add it to the OP.

Or maybe I just need someone to reply first so I can add it.

If you're a student you can often get massive discounts from Slate. I can get anything from them for 49$/30 pounds.

Hey thanks for posting that! Great stuff in those libraries, they do really give a feel for the sounds. I liked what I heard in the Slate library posted beneath your OP. I'll have to dig into that some more. Thanks!

Back