Drum overhead question?

Even crappy converters at 16 bit shouldn't have a noise floor high enough to matter. Just keep your levels down and don't clip.

If you were tracking to tape then it would be something to worry about.

Clipping in the digital world sucks so just don't do it. :)

You can get very technical with this question, but I think Greg is right. Just get a good sound and keep out of the red. If you're worried, turn your input down a bit. Ultimately, the test is in the final mix and mastering stage. If your drums are sounding too distant or weak, you might be recording too low. Look on Youtube at some of the tutorials on drums and see what their levels look like. Personally, I just keep it in the green.
Rod Norman
Engineer

I thought you were the only one here who still uses VU? (ducks and runs away)

But I don't understand this bit:

What's a mixer got to do with bitdepth?

I've bitched about this in the Tascam forums and seen other people with a similar problem... when I record drums on my DP-24 in 16-bit (8 tracks recording at once- one for each drum and two overheads), no problems. But when I do it in 24-bit, there are these loud snaps that come through every so many seconds, all on each track simultaneously. I don't know what the problem is. Some people have suggested a lack of grounding, but it never happens in 16-bit recordings, so that can't be it. Most of the problems I've had with this thing can be solved by formatting the SD card, but not this one.

I've pretty much resigned myself to recording in 16-bit until I buy a better mixer someday.

I've bitched about this in the Tascam forums and seen other people with a similar problem... when I record drums on my DP-24 in 16-bit (8 tracks recording at once- one for each drum and two overheads), no problems. But when I do it in 24-bit, there are these loud snaps that come through every so many seconds, all on each track simultaneously. I don't know what the problem is. Some people have suggested a lack of grounding, but it never happens in 16-bit recordings, so that can't be it. Most of the problems I've had with this thing can be solved by formatting the SD card, but not this one.

I've pretty much resigned myself to recording in 16-bit until I buy a better mixer someday.
Nothing to contribute help wise, but that sucks. Gads I hope you get it resolved.

If the drums are sounding distant and weak, it probably means thr mics are too far away, perhaps on the floor in the corner of the room because you forgot to put them on the kit.

If the drums are sounding distant and weak, it probably means thr mics are too far away, perhaps on the floor in the corner of the room because you forgot to put them on the kit.

Or perhaps he's using pathetic little microphones. He needs to get some big, manly microphones.

Back