Drum Heads

I'm going to have to totally disagree here, but this is a debate that no side can ever hope to win, so yeah.

Well that's fine, but seriously. Emperors are a coated 2-ply head. The only thing deader than that are those Evans oil-filled hydraulic pieces of shit.

Hmmm? Pins are two-ply with the glue ring in the middle. By nature they're slightly deader.

Yes, I agree, 2ply is deader than 1-ply, but I can get more open sounding low tones on emps than I do on ambs. It depends on what pitch I want my drums at. To get the same low tones with ambs I have to tune loose, which makes the drum floppy and shitty tone. If I want high tones, than ambassadors all the way.

Hmmm? Pins are two-ply with the glue ring in the middle. By nature they're slightly deader.

I'm talking clear though. Clear Pinstripes sound brighter and more open than Coated Emperors....to my ears.

Also, I'm not talking about "low". Coated emperors will go way low. I'm talking about dead. Clear Pinstripes aint dead.

Hmm, interesting. Personally I haven't noticed that big a difference between clear and coated aside from a "warmer" tone, but, hey, as long as you know how to tune and get good sounds, that goes 90% of the way there!

I played with a drummer that used clear pinstripes on all of his toms and they were certainly not dead. The sound was a bit like the G2's.

To my ears the Evans clear G2's are a great head. Nice attack and lively sounding without the bad overtones.

Greg I knew you were a real drummer and played a Mapex kit! Chalk one up for the good guys. :D

Sorry that you have to associate with riff-raff

What's in your head

I have two bass drums and eight toms. Everything has Remo black pinstripes, top and bottom. The supraphonic snare has Ludwig coated batter and Ludwig clear snare on bottom.
I have also used Ludwig clear batter heads with the silver dot and loved those as well. Now you did not indicate just why you wish to replace the heads in the first place? Do all the batter heads have hundreds of craters in them from being thrashed by someone who does not know what they are doing, or do you just want a different look or sound?
Just be thankful you do not have to deal with calf skin heads and catgut snares anymore.
Narrow your choice down to two kinds, buy one of each and try them out to see which you prefer. That way you do not spend all your jing on a whole set that you may end up not liking in the end.

Depends

It obviously depends on what style of music but the heads Ive grown most fond of are-

Bass Batter - Remo Powersonic Clear, Powerstroke 4 Clear, Aquarian Superkick 2

Bass Reso - Evans EQ3 Coated, Evans EQ3 Ebony, Remo Ambassador Coated, Remo Powerstroke 4 Coated (for a more synthetic triggered sound)

Snare Batter - Evans Power Center Reverse Dot, Remo Ambassador, Aquarian Studio X Coated

Snare Reso - Evans Hazy 300, Remo Ambassador Hazy

Tom Batter - Remo Emperors Coated or Clear, Evans Ec2 Clear

Tom Reso - Remo Ambassador Clear, Evans G1

Cant go wrong with any of those in my opinion. Sometimes I'll use something with a little more muffling on the floor tom such as Remo Powerstroke 4 but not always. I've used tons of different heads so if you need opinions I'll be happy to give you mine. Remember, these are just my opinions and they're arent any right or wrong answers.

Back