Drum Heads

Scrubucket7

Hey, i have a crappy cb drum set in my studio that needs new heads. I been having trouble finding resonant side heads. What are some good recomendations that arent too expensive? I really can't find anything in local music stores (all one of them) and i havent had too much luck on this here interweb. Im looking for something to compliment remo pinstrips or something similar to that, maybe with less resonance than most.

Also, one more question. How do you stop snare buzz when you hit the floor tom? No matter how i tune the floor tom or the snare, it never stops buzzing. Thanks for any help.

In my experience with drums... a $199.99 drumset can sound like a $1999.99 drum kit if you put on good heads and know how to tune them. A $1999.99 kit can sound like a $199.99 drumset if crappy heads are used and aren't tuned well.

Here's my recommendation of drumheads...

Evan's EMAD Kick Drum Head(use the smaller ring live, and the thicker ring for the studio if needed)
Evans EQ3 Resonant Head for the front of the kick drum, it comes with a 5 inch hole. But what I think looks really nice is getting a Evans EQ1 Resonant head and putting in 2 silver 6" rings, which looks really nice! ;)
Remo Clear Pinstripes, Evans Coated G2's are really nice too!
The Snare heads can be switched up, I tend to use a Remo Coated Emperor X, sometimes a Powerstroke 3, sometimes a Coated Ambassador, it just depends on my mood I guess. :D

But for the resonant side for the toms, the ones that came with your drumset suck, I know first hand. :mad: I use Evans G1's, but if you want a little less ring to the drum, Id get Evans G2's. Use coated heads for a quicker sound, they sound a bit warmer too! But I like the flat out boing that the clear heads produce.

And you need to get a new snare, don't waste your time with that CB snare, there is no snare bed cut in the bearing edge of the snare, its not gonna sound much better than it does right now, lol. Seriously, get another snare. Anyway, thats my 2 cents.

Thanks for the advice. Ill check them out. The thing is, im not a drummer. I just like to have a kit in my studio to practice drum mic setups with, and i like to jam with people once in awhile. I would also like to learn how to play better, and would like to make my set sound as good as possible. I have heard many cheap cb's sound good with good heads and knowledge on tuning, and i figured id give it a shot. After i buy heads, if i can get a good sound, i was planning on getting a decent snare to finish it off as well as a new hihat stand (damn that one sucks.) Either way, payday is next thursday, ill see what i can do.

Dont wory about the snare buzz, that your toms are causing. it is natural even for the best drum set, that is just character of live drums. i doubt, that this buzz will ever be heard in the tracks, but if it bothers you anyway, you still can cut it out or gate it from the tracks.

Back