Drum heads

Drummer706

AOD AND SANCTIFIED
Hey guys what's up? well in church we have a 7 year old Pearl Session Series drum set with remo heads. we need new heads, and i was thinking of purchasing some hydraulic heads by evans but i was recommended to purchase the evan g2 coated. dont get me wrong i love remo but im open to any suggestions. what do you guys use and what do you suggest i purchase?? if it helps i'm playing behind plexi glass. (i have one of those shields in front of me). what do you suggest i get for the toms, snare, and bass. thanks a lot in advanced.

Personally, I like the G2s. I run the G2s on top and the clear on the bottom. But what you should do is go play some side by side with the Remos. Make sure they are tuned the same and see what the difference is. That's the only way to tell if they are what you are after.

I have used G2 for several years (use to play Remo Pinstipes) and I think they are fine heads. I am not a fan of hydraulics (they suck all the life out of drums).

I think hydaulics are useless live (unless you close mic) and even in the studio (where volume is not as critical) they still make the drums sound one dimentional.

The EMAD kick heads are very cool (although I also like the EQ series). The Evans vented snare heads are great (I will still use a coated Ambassador in a pinch) but I'll go out of my way to track down a vented!

well i play in the corner of the altar and the plexi makes it really hard to get a good sound because i get so much echo. but what we look for is a warm bright sound. not to bright not to dull. not to boom boom either. the snare has to sound dry but rich. and the toms a warm thick but bright sound. . . same goes for the bass drum. that's as much as i can say about that.

Wicked, im which case there's not need for pinstripes etc.

warm usually means coated, bright means single ply (usualy clear),
- So i'd suggest evans g1 coated batter and then a g1 clear reso

Dry but rich...emm... well you could try an Evans Studio Dry. They're dry, Or maybe a aquarian satin finish. with just a g1 clear reso.

Kick - Evans EMAD or Aquarian Superkick IIs.

i would go with the power stroke iii-s they have been really impressing me lately for a controlled but not smothered sound.

I would have to second the EMAD's on the kick, sounds amazing even compared to my aquarian superkick 2. I use the remo P3 on the snare and like that, I don't however like the evans hydraulics on the toms they do kill the sound too much for my taste.

emergency!

we need a snare head as an emergency and this head has to take a pretty bad beating for my metal practice with my christian metal rock group.

snare..

Drummer706 said:
we need a snare head as an emergency and this head has to take a pretty bad beating for my metal practice with my christian metal rock group.

you can try remo coated ambassador batter head and remo diplomat for resonant head. gives you a good snare sound plus the ambassador can take a pretty good beating. or if youre a very hard hitter you could try remo emperor x or something else with a power dot.

Back