Drum Heads

NiasinDrummer

What do you use on your drums/

I use pinstripes on toms, a black dot snare and an aquarian superkick III. Im getting new tom and snare heads, but want a really good sound for recording.

Are Pinstripes good for recording or is there something that can get me an even BETTER sound. I know tuning is the most important thing, but surely the head has a lot of impact on the sound as well.

Evans G2 Clear or G1 Coated on Toms Batters
Evans G1 Clear on Tom/Snare bottoms
Evans G1 Coated on snare with a little bit of tape
Evans EQ4 batter-side BD Head
Tama Starclassic/Evans BD Reso head

I put a little moongel on my toms just for a little muffling, but I do like my toms a bit ringy. Not muffled like the old school Ringo Starr tom sound. :p
And I put an old pillow in my bass drum, which touches the reso and batter heads, for that nice, dead sound.:D

The drums sound really good to me on recording. I can get you a clip if you'd like.

BTW, I'm playing on a Tama Starclassic Performer EFX kit which is 100% Birch, so don't try getting your Maple drums to sound like mine. :D

I use

-Evans G2s on Toms, batter and reso
-Evans G2 on BD batter
-Pearl ELX on BD reso
-Evans Power Centre on snare batter
-Evans G1 on snare reso

I use a pillow and blanket in kick and a quite a bit of tape on my toms. The set-up works fine for me, doing all round playing live and studio over many genres (many indie and punk - little bit of funk and jazz)

Evans G1 clears on tom batter side (or Remo Pinstripes). Evans G1 clear on tom resonant side. If needed a pad or two of Moon Gel.

Evans Vented, coated on snare batter (or Remo coated Ambasador). Evans (or Remo) clear snare resonant side. If needed a Pad or two of Moon Gel

Evans Emad on kick batter (using the thinner foam ring) and a single ply resonant (normally a Remo). A pillow in the kick.

Hey mikeh -- Have you had any problems with your EMAD?
I had one, but the freakin' ring pulled right off the head. It started to buzz a little bit, and all of a sudden it started to come right off.

-Justin

Hey Drummer4life05,

I have not had any problems with the two EMAD heads I've used (a 20" & a 22").

There is always a chance that there was a bad batch or some bad glue, etc - but normally that would be a production run in which case there may be a few bad heads that show up in the same area (perhaps even the same store). Evans has pretty good QC, but shit happens.

Did your store exchange the head for you? If not, you could try to get the name of the Evans rep and see if he would authorize an exchange through your store.

Jeez, I didn't even think of an exchange. I had it for a while anyway. I think I ordered it from Musicians Friend or something. It wasn't even glue -- it was some foamy double sided tape. It just lost its stickyness and peeled away.
Anyway, I had an EQ4 laying around, so I just threw that on there, and it sounds good t me!

Evans hydraulic 2 ply black on batter toms
Evans G1 clear on resonant toms

Aquarian super kick II on kick batter (will be switching to Emad later this year, when this one wears out)
Evans EQ3 black ported on kick resonant

Evans G2 coated on snare batter
Evans G2 clear on resonant snare

To me, evans just sound better than any remo product I have ever used. The aquarian's are nice for the kick, but I have never used them on toms.

i use
snare- emperor coated & snare side abassador
toms & floortom- ambassador coated
bass drum- powerstroke 3
sounds great

snare- ambassador coated.. remo snare bottom
toms- coated ambassador on top, coated emperors resonant side
bass drum- coated ambassador batter side, fibreskyn3 on resonant

i don't think i need to tell you how lively the kit sounds, i really don't think this set up is for everyone.

I'm cheap..

3 rolls of duct-tape.
Original resonant heads ....like i said...im cheap.
Attack Drumheads on toms and BD.
Remo coated amb with black dot on snare (black dot no longer black or a dot)

Yeah, they work. I don't do recording so i will continue to be cheap until I start to record.

Back