drum compression...

dumass

when you usually record, what do u compress? just the bass drum and snare, and the overheads get a limiter? i will be working with the RNC in the future, with a SM 57 on the snare and a Beta 52 on the bass drum. i use cakewalk sonar 2.0 so i will be using the FX Limiter from the program for limiting. am i in the right direction?

also, do u compress while you're recording, or after? thanks for your help

sounds pretty right to me.... i comp either before or after, depending on my mood, i supposer that doesn't help much :D

Just dont over cdompress going to "tape". It hard to undo that. On kick I go about 2.5:1 ,then I might compress again on mix if I think it needs more punch. Snare the same story but a little higher ratio onto tape like 4 or 5 to 1 .

OH! overhead mics do well with compression,seems to make them a bit stronger. Go a little on to tape first like, 4 or 5 to 1 like the snare and see how that sounds. When checking compression levels be sure to really listen.That is your best defense

Unless you don't have the means to add it later, I recommend you only compress enough at the tracking stage to avoid clipping (a transparent limiter, if you will). But if you're laying down a track and that's gonna be it, 3:1 is always a good round number to start with. Use a fast attack and release to tighten things up, and be very careful about tracking with any gate settings. BUT, every drummer is different dynamically, so keep in mind that there is no "right" compression setting. Use your ears and the "less is more" approach.

Back