Cymbal Upgrade

fuzzsniffvoyage

Wanting to get new cymbals. I want something for recording. They will never be gigged, but from time to time for a jam session.

Of course money is an object, and I want to get the best bang for my buck, but I don't want beginner cymbals, I have Zildjian ZBT's now and they sound like pure shit, very tingy (is that a word?)

Was looking at the Zildjian A series fast crashes.

Then I noticed the Sabian SR2 cymbals.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Really depends of taste and style. I'm currently recording using Paiste Signature series with a dark energy ride and I'm happy with the results; can't go wrong with 2002s either.

I would recommend not limiting yourself to one brand....go to a drum store and go hit a crap load of cymbals until you find what you like or, until they throw you out of the store. ....If you do get thrown out of the store go to another store. Brass is expensive so make sure you're satisfied.

Have someone go with you if you decide to hit the music store. Have your friend hit the cymbals while you stand back a bit and listen to how the cymbals sound. This should help in choosing the sound you are looking for. Wuhan cymbals can be a good choice on a budget but it's a hit or miss with them. I had a friend hit several them at one store but didn't like the sound of any of them. The second store had a bigger selection new and used. Found 3 Wuhan cymbals I liked. All were used Thin and Medium Thin for $105. Needed some gigging cymbals. At home I have Sabian AA, AAX, HH, HHX and a set of Paiste 2002. You can always mix it up with different brands.

One more thing. Check the bay. Once in a while they have some good deals on 2002 and other big names. Just make sure you check the pics closely and read the description. Look out for ring out, cracks, dents, warping, cut downs....etc

Back