cymbal sound-"trashy"?

monster

...i'm new to the art....I have what i believe to be shitty cymbals and am looking into alternatives. Can anyone describe (or post an audio file) what people mean by "trashy" or dirty, etc. in a cymbal sound. It would be helpful to compare w/ what is a clean sound. What are examples of each, e.g. what are the differences between zildjian A and Z? is one trashy and the other not? thanks.........

Z's are generally used more for heavier rock music. They are very loud and heavy cymbals.

A's are more sizzly I guess and generally more musical imo. There's a bit of shimmer in them. Usually lot's of sustain unless you get the 'fast crash' ones.

Neither are trashy, as they are both top of the line cymbals. If you want shitty zildjians get the zbt's......or just get paiste's.

Personally I love a trashy sound, it fits my postindustrial music perfectly. I use a 14" china ZBT as a hihat top & a 14" ZBT crash as the bottom, and the 13" hats as crash symbols. It sounds aggressive as hell. Then I use two snares, a piccolo with the usual ping, and a standard snare mounted on a tom rack that I tuned to sound like a trash can. GAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! Anybody wanna fight?

Grohl is on Leno now, gotta go.

OK done watching Grohl. What the hell is it drummers like so much about tendonitis? I mean Grohl's drummer swings his sticks about two feet behind his head with every beat, and his cymbals are at least a foot above his head. So much wasted motion.

He should hang out for five minutes (yeah, I know it ain't live and on the wrong coast) and watch Max Weinberg and learn a lesson about drumming with and without pain.

Funny thing is that Grohl doesn't do that, his kit and motions are way more efficient (at least they are now, I forget the Nirvana days). I mean no guitarist lifts their fingers six inches off the fretboard between chords.

Stealthtech said:
Good point.
And by the way Erich, I love my Paiste Rudes

That was just a joke. I thought I'd see if I could start a big Paiste vs. Zildjian war. I like all brands equally well..... except I like Zildjians better. :)

mshilarious said:
OK done watching Grohl. What the hell is it drummers like so much about tendonitis? I mean Grohl's drummer swings his sticks about two feet behind his head with every beat, and his cymbals are at least a foot above his head. So much wasted motion.

He should hang out for five minutes (yeah, I know it ain't live and on the wrong coast) and watch Max Weinberg and learn a lesson about drumming with and without pain.

Funny thing is that Grohl doesn't do that, his kit and motions are way more efficient (at least they are now, I forget the Nirvana days). I mean no guitarist lifts their fingers six inches off the fretboard between chords.

You think he really has to play his guitar that hard? It looks cool to play drums like that dude..showmanship. Get with it

Scott

<<You think he really has to play his guitar that hard? It looks cool to play drums like that dude..showmanship. Get with it>>

Get with what? Pain? Sorry, I don't buy that. Acute pain, yes, chronic pain, no. Showmanship is jumping around, throwing stuff, working the crowd. It's isn't repetitive motion injury.

Look, I play a few shows a year, not nearly enough to worry about occupational injury. I could do any dumbass thing I wanted--beat the drums with 2x4s, crank all the amps to 12, scream my lungs out, no problem, it's only 4 times a year so I'll recover.

But if you're doing it 100 times a year, that's a big problem. Still, I have no sympathy for Foos or E St. or Pete Townshend or any other rich idiot that does it EXCEPT that they create the exact expectation you just stated.

Problem is all the bands playing 300 shows a year trying to make ends meet and make it big can't afford to pay for the medical care not to mention never being able to play their instruments again.

There was an article in the Wash. Post a few weeks back about the National Symphony Orchestra stating that about a third or more of their players suffer from near constant pain due to overuse, but they are all afraid to speak up or they'll lose their jobs.

This kind of shit has to stop. This 'it's better to burn out than fade away' is a crock. To quote Toshiro Mifune, 'a long life eating porridge is best'. Or if that isn't familiar, try some S.O.D.:

Save that fist bang shit, for bands like Motley Crue. Or when you come see us, we'll dive on top of you.

There you go--stage diving, a few lacerations; fist banging, tennis elbow. Your choice.

mshilarious said:

Max looks like his throne is missing the pad. His style is like the 'Riverdance' of drumming. "I will not move my upper body, I will not move my upper body..."

Back