cymbal samples

BigKahuna

OK, I'm messing around with sampling my kit again ...
this time w 24bit/48Khz wavs.
I did some cymbals tonight... even though I don't have the best cymbals around ... but I remembered Slackmaster's request from a while back and made them long (20-30sec) so they decay fully. Feel free to download them and let me know your feedback. I'm using Goldwave, which I am very much a newbie at it ... so if you hear anything weird, please tell me.
The files were kinda big, so I had to zip them ... I put my 'better' cymbals (two! :)) in a separate zip ... so if you don't like ZBT you don't have to d/l them ;)
Hope you like ...

china_splash.zip - 1.04mb
17" Zildjain K China
10" Zildjian A Splash

cymbals.zip - 4.6mb
15" Zildjain crash
15" Zildjain Paper Thin crash
16" Zildjain ZBT crash
14" Zildjain ZBT hihat (closed)
14" Zildjain ZBT hihat (accent)
14" Zildjain ZBT hihat (open)
20" Zildjain ZBT ride (ping)
20" Zildjain ZBT ride (bell)
20" Zildjain ZBT ride (crash)

Last edited:
BigKahuna -

I tried to download and unzip both files - and I keep getting an "invalid media type was specified" error when trying to play them. Maybe they were corrupted at some point??? I can tell you for sure that it isn't my system

pratt

I don't know what to tell ya Pratt ... I tried it from work and I don't get any errors ... but the wavs sound pretty weird ... kinda like a mack truck at idle. Almost as if it's looping a short section of the file?
I have no idea why ... but I'll check it out when I get home. Sorry to waste your time. I'll fix it soon (i hope).
I wonder if my player here can't play 24bit? ??

Does Windows media player support 24-bit playback?? I was under the impression that it doesn't - and maybe that's the problem on my end??

I got the same error trying to play it from Windows Media Player ... so maybe that's it. I was able to play it through Sound Recorder (WinME edition) if you can believe that.
It still doesn't sound good on my work computer, though.

Windows Media Player is all that I have at work....when I get a chance I'll try downloading and listening at home with an app that supports 24-bit

I'm curious to hear the K china and paper thin crash

did you get it to work?
Win Media won't play it on my studio comp either. Must be the 24 bit thing. Still not sure why it's screwed up at work. :(
Has anyone else downloaded these samples? Having any problems?

Thanks BigK! I haven't listened to these yet but I will as soon as they download.

I decided to look through some of my drum samples tonight and I was just bitching that I hated almost every single one.....in fact I was wondering to myself what kind of retard would cut a sample before it had decayed completely!

The best samples I've heard to date are at 2dcd.com .... some beautiful samples there... I wish I had 99 bucks to spare.

I look forward to hearing these!!

P.S. I appreciate the 24 bit too...right now my drum app is only 16, but I hope to get something better soon here. I can always dither them down...you can go from 24 to 16, but you can't go from 16 to 24 (well, you know what I mean)

Slackmaster 2000

THANK YOU BIG K!!!!!!!

These are great! Very nice sounding and excellent decay. In fact the decay is so long on some of them I'll probably cut them out after a ways...but it's nice to have the *choice*....like if you ever end a song on a cymbal crash, you need that extra long decay. I really appreciate the nice decay on the hihat samples too.

And these are quiet! Some of the samples I've found on the net are noisier than fuck. These really do compete with the 2dcd samples I mentioned earlier.

One thing I would like to hear...if you got it...is a lighter ride...like a Paiste Z50 (not sure on that model number).

Thanks man!

Slackmaster 2000

Cool!

Thanks Slack! I'm glad you can use them...
I was a little worried that nobody could even play them ... but the fact that you can makes me feel better. I was also debating whether or not to leave them as long as they are ... especially considering how big 24bit wavs are ... but eventually figured that most everyone here has a wav editor and can cut them as they like if they want to.
I only wish I had better cymbals to sample! If/when I get some other drum kits in here, I'll try to make a point to take a sample or two.
Toms, snares and kicks are next ... wish me luck! :)
Thanks again!

Damn if you did a full set of samples that'd rock. I agree that a couple of the cymbals weren't great, but they're *real*, and that's what's important to a guy like me who's got squat. :)

You know what would be great...when you sample say, a snare, sample several whacks of it in various locations at various strengths, that way we could create tracks that sound very natural, as opposed to the exact same whack sound over and over. Just a thought.

I didn't mind the 24 bit size...nor did I mind the lengths. A 4MB file isn't very big these days...hell, a 20MB file is doable over a modem if you've got patience. I'd rather have cool drum samples later than crappy samples right now :)

I haven't been able to use the samples yet for some reason. I think it's my stupid drum program. I dithered them down to 16 bit and they play in everything, except my drum software. I'll have to try fruity loops. (I use Drums! right now which is sort of beta quality at best) It's not the samples though, they're fine. If I use some of them in my upcoming recordings I'll be sure to let people know where they came from.

Slackmaster 2000

Ideas for additional cymbal samples

Wow!! Thanks for u/l some cool sounds! I am primarily interested in scoring film/TV music. If you're taking requests, the following would be great--

* Cymbal scrapes (with dimes, triangle beaters, etc)
* Taps on the dome of a cymbal
* Taps on the dome proceding outward to the edge
* Muffled snare (like putting a wallet on the snare when striking)

Etc.

Just a thought. Thanks for the cool samples.

Sagar

Hey big K, I used your samples in little number that I posted to the clinic. I didn't use a lot of cymbal, but they're in there...your hat, your crash, and your splash. (i messed with the pitch on the closed hat so it sounds funky...just so ya know).

Slackmaster 2000

Back