Come on Zildjian. Seriously?

That's a Portnoy thing. It's used in the same manner as splash cymbals. Their demonstration was insanely lame, but they can be used to good effect on a monster kit with a bunch of effects cymbals, playing something progressive

That demo was painful! But it sounds kinda cool as an effect kind of thing. I'm sure somebody out there will buy one and use it once :)

I'm all for alternative/trashy cymbals and stacking. The part I find offensive is the fact that those two cymbals run $100 each. You shouldn't be spending more than $20 on a stack like that (and even then, only if you're buying a really nice hacksaw)

Who buys these stupid things anyway? In all my time of gigging and drumming, I've never seen one guy use these "effects" cymbals.

I'm sure that samples of it will be available in Toontrack's next SD2 expansion: Stackers and Trash Can Lids SDX. Mic'd with over 17 vintage microphones in NYC's hottest studio spaces! On sale for $120.

Who buys these stupid things anyway? In all my time of gigging and drumming, I've never seen one guy use these "effects" cymbals.
Portnoy, and everyone like him, have stuff like this. I used to use things like this too.

Portnoy, and everyone like him, have stuff like this. I used to use things like this too.

The Dream Theater guy? I don't associate with that style of music. It's no wonder I never see or hear these things. Back under my punk rock!

I've got a friend who's a metal drummer who uses a lot of weird stacks. (Actually, he did guest drums on the last Regdar EP.) But he usually makes his own FX cymbals. (By buying cheap cymbals and beating the crap out of them until they're unusable as anything else)

The guy from Spirits of the Red City (folk band, surprisingly) does a lot of stuff with cymbal effects, but that too is DIY (He's got a duffel bag full of whisks, chains, sharpened sticks, etc.) He's more about technique than fancy cymbals tho.

I'm with Greg_L...

I don't enjoy things that sound ugly. I guess I'll never understand them being used in music.

I'm with Greg_L...

I don't enjoy things that sound ugly. I guess I'll never understand them being used in music.
In context, it will just sound like a really short splash cymbal. No one uses them like it was used in the demo.

It's more of a percussion thing than a drum set thing. Prog guys use them because they tend to have more of a percussion mindset, as opposed to a drum kit mindset.

Back