Cheap drum triggers/pads

Lopp

I received a question about piezo drum triggers in the Guitar forum and thought I'd post the response here.

Piezoelectric transducer drum triggers are an inexpensive and good alternative to electronic drum kits and storebought drum triggers. Of course, to use them, you need a drum module with trigger inputs such as the Alesis DM5 or the like.

What you need:

1. A piezoelectric transducer ("piezo") from Radio Shack or wherever. They're under $5, possibly about $1.50.
2. An instrument cable.
3. Soldering stuff.
4. Electrical tape.

That's it.

Directions:
- Chop the cable in half and strip the two wires.
- Solder each wire from the piezo to the cable.
- Wrap the soldered wires in electrical tape.

*poof*

Drum trigger.

Plug the 1/4" jack into your drum module and tap the piezo. Drums!

To make a drum pad, use a Remo practice pad:
- Take the head and foam off.
- Drill a hole for the cables.
- Cut some foam away for the piezo.
- Run the instrument wires through the hole, solder them to the piezo wires, and wrap with duct tape.
- Replace the head.

*poof*

Drum pad.

I actually prefer them to the rubber pads.

Enjoy!

What would you recommend for triggering with natural bass drums?

By this I mean using an acoustic bass drum (or 2) for the look and feel but running the triggers to a drum module and then a PA for superior/even sound. How would you suggest placing, attaching the triggers?

Are the piezos durable enough to withstand the abuse? Is there a risk of damaging the module? Might there be a need for some resistance or does the piezo generate pulses small enough to work properly with the module on the long term?

Your post is very interesting, and I'd be excited to get several triggers for under the price of a manufactured product.

Thanks,
Scott

complexprocess said:
Are the piezos durable enough to withstand the abuse? Is there a risk of damaging the module? Might there be a need for some resistance or does the piezo generate pulses small enough to work properly with the module on the long term?

If the beater hits the piezo device it will probably do it permanent damage. They are not intended to be flexed or squeezed too hard. Putting it on the drum head away from the beater would seem sensible.

The module should be capable of receiving a few volts as a trigger, as there's no knowing what you'll feed it. The Piezo does generate a good voltage spike, but it's a very high impedance source, there's not much current available.

Mike.

Hey this is really cool!

I think this may half assed solve my drum dilemna. My kit and mics aren't great, so recording it is almost an excercise in futility. On the flip side I absolutely hate programming drums, it kinda takes the fun and definately the feel out of it.

So I've also been asking around music stores here and the like, well just about anybody who will listen :). One dude mentioned that resistors should be put in that circuit somewhere. He was rather busy so I didn't get the whole gist of why that was...any ideas?, or is it even neccesary...I don't have a clue when it comes to this kinda thing.

Another note, so I bought a few of these wee mics...drilled a bunch of holes in some coffee cans :D...and from there I am just running the wires to the inputs of my delta66...damn I wish I had more ins. Then I'll record a track in n-track, and slap some drumagog on there. Shazaam, we have drums.

OK the thing with above is, and this is probably the most dumbass questiion around...will that be sending signals which can cook my soundcard or no :D. Reason I ask is buddy mentioned resistors...

Did I mention I have no clue about these things ?:D

Another note...I'll probably have to retire the coffee cans not too far down the road. So if I do decide to invest further in these homemade drums...I would prolly buy a pracise kit. I've been eyeballing those too. So I should go for a kit that doesn't have rubber pads???...I've seen remo kits, and actually saw a dixon kit that was a lot cheaper...

Anyhow, I'd just like to say this is really cool :cool:...once again.

Yea, to basically minimalize what I posted before...

Will a Dixon practise kit work?...they aren't rubber as far as I know...the rubber ones are too much material for the sound to be going through right?

Back