Cheap but good soundind tom mics please?

TheComposer

Hi, I have over 7 mics, but as my last drum mics adquisition, I'm planning to get 3 or 4 toms mics, I'll buy them online (Ebay, Musicians Friend, Guitar Center, etc)

I'm looking for a cheap drum kit, range over 100 and less, I've seen the Samson 5kit and that could be an option, but maybe there are other brands that can make me sound good like a pro, wouldn't mind to fix eq in the mix, no prob there.

Thoughts?

Since you're pretty anxious to get an answer, I'll give you what I know. Audix makes a pretty decent mic kit, I've heard CAD will get you an OK sound. My head trusts Shure, just because of the name Shure.

Here is something I am going to try in the near future, the Glyn Johns Drum Mic Technique. I have tried using 7 mics on the drums, lot of mics. But after reading about this method, I will be taking a closer look. This technique seems to make a lot of sense, less mics to deal with and still gives the punch from the kick and snare.

Just highlight the words and do a Google search.

I like shure mikes on drums. But I use the Recorderman o.h. Technique (Samson co2's), a 57 on snare & beta 52? ( I think) on kik. No Tom mikes or hats.

I like shure mikes on drums. But I use the Recorderman o.h. Technique (Samson co2's), a 57 on snare & beta 52? ( I think) on kik. No Tom mikes or hats.

Actually, this is the method I meant to say. I couldn't remember the name. The one I mentioned seemed pretty close :o

Those are good answers guys!!

But since it'll be my first drum recording, I'll definitely need tom mics since I don't want to mess up :P

Last edited by a moderator:
I used the Sennheiser MD504's on toms for almost 20 years. They almost sound like a 421. You can get them on ebay for cheap.

The newer version of them is the e604.

They clip on to the rim and sound much much better than the cad or samson sets.

One post was deleted. Carry on, nothing to see here.

And maybe a bit more clean and luxurious! :)

Samson CO2's sound like shit compared to the Shure KSM141's I replaced them with. That is not to say that you can't cant something decent with the mics. They will just sound harsh and tough to bring the overheads into your mix. Been there...

I have used some drum mic kits long ago, and have found it is usually the overhead condenser mics included that are the worst of the package.

Think about it... $500 used for my pair of KSM 242's purchased from Henry on this site. Guess which sounds better? Where has Henry been?

Night and day would be the proper analogy between the shit Samson CO2's and the Shure mics.

A drum mic combo for $300 or whatever is not going to give you the best mics. It may get you going, and that is cool, but.... wasting time is something I have learned not to do so much anymore. I have been there myself.

Anyway, I really like the CAD M179 for floor toms. Not so much a fan of condensers on toms above the snare. Usually a dynamic 57 for these. Just have to try and see.

A cheap mic set is going to give you an idea of what you want. But you 'hopefully' will quickly see why they were cheap..

I'll be looking to upgrade my O.H.'s before to long.

How do those 141's sound on acoustic gtr Jimmy?

I was wondering about the KSM 32 or the 44 too. I like the price of the 141's.

You got 242's from Henry?? I bought some 137's from him last year. Love those mics. Where HAS Henry been? I use the 137s for concert band recordings. They are perfect for that application. Someday I'll try them on acoustic.....

As is always the case, be sure the source material sounds beautiful if you want a beautiful recording. Tune the drums. Play in a good room. Use a drummer who knows how to play. Etc, etc, blah, blah, blah. :D

You got 242's from Henry?? I bought some 137's from him last year. Love those mics. Where HAS Henry been? I use the 137s for concert band recordings. They are perfect for that application. Someday I'll try them on acoustic.....

As is always the case, be sure the source material sounds beautiful if you want a beautiful recording. Tune the drums. Play in a good room. Use a drummer who knows how to play. Etc, etc, blah, blah, blah. :D

Henry has just been busy.

I will send some samples with the KSM141's on acoustic guitar here in a few. Actually, a combination of Rode NT1A on hole and the 141 at the 12th fret.

KSM 141's are also the overhead mics for the the drums. Drums are all played with brushes.

Sorry to use the download link thing, but these tracks are not even close to done.

Back