Cheap but good soundind tom mics please?

+1 on the MD504's. They save a lot of hassle being clip on mics. I also like audix i5's on toms. They can both be had for around 60 bucks on ebay.

Not a big deal worth the down load.

Nice tunes.

The acoustics shoung very good. As do the drums.

Another item on the wish list.

Thanks.

Oh yeah, the KSM 141's are selectable between cardioid and omnidirectional. The overheads for drum recording was done cardioid. Low ceiling filled with rockwool but the cardioid pattern sounded best. Acoustic guitar in omni. I have a well treated space that allows that to work well and it sounded best in that mode.

Just wanted to be clear on how I used them. :)

Try to find and buy some old Shure 545/545D/545SD and/or 565/565D/565SD mics (there are some other different marked Shure equivalents too), they are almost the same as SM57 and SM58. In case of 565 (or SM58) - remove inner foam from the mesh ball and it will be the same 545 (SM57), just better protected from sticks. Above models are very durable - there is very low risk to find damaged mic, just visual look, not capsule. I think it is the best compromise between pro quality and price.

My opinion stays the same.

1. Don't skimp on the overhead mics. If you are gonna shell money on drum mics spend the most on these 2 microphones.
2. Next important mic is the kick mic.
3. Next is the snare mic(s) (if you want a bottom mic).
4. And finally the tom mics.

I think as long as your around or in the $3-400 for a set of overheads you are gonna do ok (NT5 pair, sm137, studio projects C4, RE200, sm81 etc...)

Kick mics: $200 or so: Beta 52a, D6, Beta 91a, e602, e902, F6 (this is actually really good for the price) etc...

Snare: $99 sm57, or i5 is fine. If you want to shell more the beyerdynamic m88

Toms: Lots of options, my favs are MD421s, sm57s (rack toms), e604s, audix d2/d4, CAD M179. I've heard all of these in person and they sound great.

Back