Can You Guys Critique These Drums

...but we gotta do what we gotta do you know???

Yeah defo. Like I said earlier, a means to an end. Whatever gets the job done. I had the spare cash to grab a bargain so I went for it and the bonus of these old/older Roland kits is they keep pretty good value as they age, so should I decide to upgrade to a better model, I should lose much money on it.

I doubt I'll ever sell it though. I'll just upgrade it. Away with the rubber toms, etc.

Have fun :thumbs up:

If I ever upgrade my e-kit, it'll have to be a better module, hh controller & possibly another rack or add to the existing...My kit's pretty limited, but for what I use it for, it's ok....not great, but ok...I new what I was getting before I pulled the trigger, but I'm fine with it being what it is....

Bubba's comment was pretty tangential, but his point is valid.

It was me being a twat, is what it was. :D I think I ought to have made my point more clearly, but I was off on a rant.

I don't deny that for some people's circumstances (like Schwarzenyaeger -didn't mean to upset you, dude) it's a necessary evil. It's possibly the only way they can indulge their hobby and enjoy it to the full.

I was lamenting the fact that midi is making it so that the production of music requires no interaction from other people whatsoever. A person can make an entire production - drums, orchestral, brass, guitars, you name it - without ever making contact with another human being. To me, that's not what music is about. Unless a person is some kind of genius like Beethoven, then the music produced in this way is mostly sterile, boring, one-dimensional and ultimately sucky. Music to me is about a group of people pulling in different directions and the same direction. That's how decent music is made.

Just my ten pence worth. :)

Last edited:
I was lamenting the fact that midi is making it so the production of music requires no interaction from other people whatsoever. A person can make an entire production - drums, orchestral, brass, guitars, you name it - without ever making contact with another human being. To me, that's not what music is about.
And it allows the user to "craft" and entire song and mix without making a sound. No cops will be called, no babies will be scared, no wives will yell, no noise will be made. Some may say "well that's a good thing" but I don't see it that way. That's not rock and roll. That's not anything. The human part of music is very important IMO. I want to believe that I'm listening to humans playing music, and the sounds I'm hearing really happened. Fool me if you can, and I hope you can, but if it sounds like plastic robots I'm turning you off forever.

It was me being a twat, is what it was. :D I think I ought to have made my point more clearly, but I was off on a rant.

I don't deny that for some people's circumstances (like Schwarzenyaeger -didn't mean to upset you, dude) it's a necessary evil. It's possibly the only way they can indulge their hobby and enjoy it to the full.

I was lamenting the fact that midi is making it so that the production of music requires no interaction from other people whatsoever. A person can make an entire production - drums, orchestral, brass, guitars, you name it - without ever making contact with another human being. To me, that's not what music is about. Unless a person is some kind of genius like Beethoven, then the music produced in this way is mostly sterile, boring, one-dimensional and ultimately sucky. Music to me is about a group of people pulling in different directions and the same direction. That's how decent music is made.

Just my ten pence worth. :)

And it allows the user to "craft" and entire song and mix without making a sound. No cops will be called, no babies will be scared, no wives will yell, no noise will be made. Some may say "well that's a good thing" but I don't see it that way. That's not rock and roll. That's not anything. The human part of music is very important IMO. I want to believe that I'm listening to humans playing music, and the sounds I'm hearing really happened. Fool me if you can, and I hope you can, but if it sounds like plastic robots I'm turning you off forever.

Yeah, my own post here was a little over-emotional, I was mostly reacting to that Raz Kingfisher dude. But yeah, up to about 10 years ago if you wrote a song and pictured it with multiple parts, you had to get real people together and convince them to play on it. If you wanted to make a recording, your band saved for months to go into a studio, or used their rent/food/car money. Most bands met, played shows, and went through their entire life cycle without once being recorded. But the ones that made it through the filter got there because they at least had something.. proven songs, a following, etc. I just think there is something to be said for wanting something bad enough to work for it, as opposed to just taking what lands on your doorstep.

These kind of comments were relevant 10 years ago , today midi is a standard... you can try fighting it but it is what it is, and the new generation works like that, which is fine it's their call

MIDI and digital recording is the standard today. Deal with it or get left behind. What do you think Beethoven or Mozart would have done with the quality of samples and how they can be utilized in practical terms? While there's much to be said for musicians working together recording, mixing and producing as a team, technology has helped to make this impractical today. The time and material resources necessary to produce my tracks in the old world analog realm is not only impractical but ignorant and stupid even If I did have other musicians to dictate my innovative ideas to. If you can play bass better than any bass player you can find, do it. And that goes for all the other instruments as well.

The challenge here is, getting each instrument performed authentically and with the technical articulation a brother musician might do. That takes a lot of imagination and objectivity. However, we do have the resources and tools to do this today providing you have the talent, experience, education, patience and skill set to execute. Know your DAW and it's capabilities. Know what you can do with MIDI and all necessary plugins and, what you cannot do with these tools and stay clear from what you cannot do and focus on what you can.

There's a thin line in distinguishing between drums programmed and drums played live. especially where the programmer is actually a really great drummer with seasoned chops. Strings, pianos and drums sampled with the best mics, in the best rooms under pristine conditions and with a dedication to detail and articulations coupled with seasoned and skilled performers can give life to ordinarily written compositions and otherwise flawed recordings. It's done every day.

Those poor souls who are stuck in the analog domain are just pitiful. Having said that, there's always a place for analog recording under the appropriate conditions and circumstances.

MIDI and digital recording is the standard today. Deal with it or get left behind. What do you think Beethoven or Mozart would have done with the quality of samples and how they can be utilized in practical terms? While there's much to be said for musicians working together recording, mixing and producing as a team, technology has helped to make this impractical today. The time and material resources necessary to produce my tracks in the old world analog realm is not only impractical but ignorant and stupid even If I did have other musicians to dictate my innovative ideas to. If you can play bass better than any bass player you can find, do it. And that goes for all the other instruments as well.

The challenge here is, getting each instrument performed authentically and with the technical articulation a brother musician might do. That takes a lot of imagination and objectivity. However, we do have the resources and tools to do this today providing you have the talent, experience, education, patience and skill set to execute. Know your DAW and it's capabilities. Know what you can do with MIDI and all necessary plugins and, what you cannot do with these tools and stay clear from what you cannot do and focus on what you can.

There's a thin line in distinguishing between drums programmed and drums played live. especially where the programmer is actually a really great drummer with seasoned chops. Strings, pianos and drums sampled with the best mics, in the best rooms under pristine conditions and with a dedication to detail and articulations coupled with seasoned and skilled performers can give life to ordinarily written compositions and otherwise flawed recordings. It's done every day.

Those poor souls who are stuck in the analog domain are just pitiful. Having said that, there's always a place for analog recording under the appropriate conditions and circumstances.

Perhaps, but I like to hit things.

Wow times 2. I want to hear programmed drums that are indistinguishable (yeah, that's a big word. Had to spell check twice) for a real drummer regardless of programmer. And who is stuck in the "analog world"? There are some here who still have the skills to use tape, but most of us are in the digital world. Don't use the "midi and digital is better" excuse for not having the faith in your music to spend the money to have a recording space where real people can record real instruments. If you can't do real drums, there are those who can do them for you. Unless you're doing Niki Manaj type of stuff.

Wow times 2. I want to hear programmed drums that are indistinguishable (yeah, that's a big word. Had to spell check twice) for a real drummer regardless of programmer. And who is stuck in the "analog world"? There are some here who still have the skills to use tape, but most of us are in the digital world. Don't use the "midi and digital is better" excuse for not having the faith in your music to spend the money to have a recording space where real people can record real instruments. If you can't do real drums, there are those who can do them for you. Unless you're doing Niki Manaj type of stuff.

especially where the programmer is actually a really great drummer with seasoned chops.

Ya left this part out bongoboy.

especially where the programmer is actually a really great drummer with seasoned chops.

Ya left this part out bongoboy.

I have never known a 'really great drummer with seasoned chops' that would care to ever program drums...Maybe play on a electronic kit, but not outright program them.

It would be interesting to meet one because I bet it is because he still lives with his mommy and she won't let him play in the house. :)

Let's not confuse 'analog' recording with recording real instruments. I can only assume that is what you meant, but either way the statement is worthy of a 'wow'. Just because it is so judgmental and idiotic.

Prove me wrong.

:drunk:

This entire post is a load of fucking bollocks. It is utter arrogance to imagine that someone who can program and arrange samples is the equal of someone who can actually play their instrument. Furthermore, 99.999% of people doing this arrangement of samples are NOT geniuses like Beethoven or Mozart, they are mainly plebs with access to the most incredible music technology that has ever existed on this planet. And most of what they produce is shite. They are doing a very good job of convincing the masses that "this is how music is made", but the real reason music is made this way nowadays is cheapness.

I maintain that the only decent rock music that will ever be made, is made by groups of individuals interacting. It's the spark between people, the tendency for the bassplayer to do something that the guitarist would never have thought of, the idiosyncratic performances of the singer, this is the richness which makes music that people will return to again and again, always finding something new to delight them.

The rest is just dross, frankly.

Back