Cajon

songright

Last spring I became interested in the Afro-Peruvian-Cuban influenced percussive instrument known as a Cajon. It has two distinct sounds that are comparable to a bass and snare drum. It has a variety of sounds based on how you play it. It's like drumming your hands on a desk. It's basically a box with a thin front that you play with your hands, or in some cases, brushes. Attached to the inside of the box is a guitar string that is stretched across the inside of the 1/8" wood that is the playing surface. Depending on how loose or tight these strings are adjusted, you can get a nice balance between a full and thumpy bass drum sound and a sharp, snappy snare drum sound. It has a resonance hole in the back that is about 5" in diameter. I purchased my first one for $70 from MF. I still use this one to record. I also bought a model that has a B-Band pickup mounted to the inside with a quarter inch jack and volume control on the back. My Cajon player, who is a phenominal guitarist/teacher/repairman, uses the model with the pickup in it to play out on. I also bought a choir condensor mic to place in front of the Cajon to capture the snare drum-like snap, as well as other percussive instruments, tambourines and shakers. This thing has a great sound that is perfect for my edgy-acoustic sound. People cannot believe the sounds that come out of the box that that dude is sitting on and beating it with his hands. Very cool instrument! Take a look at the pic.

Attachments

• cajon_brushes.jpg
    cajon_brushes.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 34
I came across my first Cajun a couple of years ago - they're cool, but they're so expensive for a wooden box with a metal sheet attached to one side!

My bass player built one with scrap wood, and it sounds great. You just need to tweak them to get them to sound right...as with anything.

Back