Best mic for kick?

Polls are fun, aren't they? Which mic on kick?

• AKG D112

Votes: 114 33.8%
  • Sennheiser e602

Votes: 29 8.6%
  • Shure beta52

Votes: 101 30.0%
  • other... (please specify)

Votes: 93 27.6%

• Total voters
I don't have the senny e, the audix or the shure beta.
I do have a d12 though. :)

Always liked the sound of a 421 on kick.

Yes the 421 has a great sound as a kick microphone. Shame one doesn't see it much there though. It's been banished to the toms department. :)

I have to add another one for the ATM 25 (avoid the Pro 25, I'm not a fan). I've tried everything else fancy to cheap and this thing, without EQ, makes a kick drum sound like a kick drum with a nice amount of thump. That whole made in Japan Audiotechnica ATM series are sleepers, I heard they were made by Sony. Again, it depends on what you're looking for, I do a lot of just plain old rock and roll and I like it. Plus. it's so affordable.

Old thread and old post, but I use the same, for the same, and get the same results.

I use the D6. The frequency response is heavily scooped.

I also have an RE20. I tried it on bass drum. I love that mic but not in this application - not for the styles of music I play anyway.

Old thread, but I can't believe how many people chose to torture themselves with a D112.

I mean I still own one but it never goes near a kick drum.

Beta 52a or D6 for life.

Old thread, but I can't believe how many people chose to torture themselves with a D112.

I mean I still own one but it never goes near a kick drum.

Beta 52a or D6 for life.

Really? Different strokes, I guess. I love my D-112.

I can't believe we're commenting on a 15 year old thread. :D

I know this thread is old as dirt.

Out of all the mics I have had the pleasure of using (beta 52, beta91, D6, RE27, yammy subkick) the D112 is my least favorite. I don't like how much eq you have to use after the fact.

Just my opinion of course. ;)

Old thread? Maybe so. But that doesn't change the validity of the subject matter, just because some forum members have tired of it.
Fact is, if one does a google search on the topic, guess what? It leads them here. To a treasure trove of info. That's a good thing.
:D

Really? Different strokes, I guess. I love my D-112.

I can't believe we're commenting on a 15 year old thread. :D

Beta 52 for me, I used the D-112 alot years ago, never had an issue with it, (talking about my other life, live sound):D. it also rocked on a Alto sax!

A D-112 needs to be far inside the bass drum. I couldn't really get a great sound without EQ'ing the shit out of it until I put it right inside my bass drum. Once I did that, I barely have to EQ my kik now. Sounds good right from the git go.

A D-112 needs to be far inside the bass drum. I couldn't really get a great sound without EQ'ing the shit out of it until I put it right inside my bass drum. Once I did that, I barely have to EQ my kik now. Sounds good right from the git go.

Good to know, I'll give this a go. Do you have it right up next to the beater?

Good to know, I'll give this a go. Do you have it right up next to the beater?
I'd say about 2-4 inches away. Really made a difference. Like I said, until I did that, I was downloading plug-ins, EQ'ing it, everything. Nothing worked until I stuck it right in there.

Last edited:
Back