Audix D6 Placement?

errr314

Hi all. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with a D6. I bought one a couple of months ago but I cant get the right sound out of it. The "click" is way to prominent and the low end sounds really muddy. Is this just that way by design? I have made sure the kick is tuned properly and it sounds great in the room. I have also tried different placements but had no luck. Is there a proper placement of this mic? It would be really great if someone had any ideas about placement options or better yet sound clips of maybe what this mic is supposed to sound like. Thanks for any help!

Yeah thats a D6 for ya, and I love it. I do mostly metal and for that it seems perfect. I get all the click I want and a nice thumpy low end. You might have better luck with a d112 or beta52. I'd keep the d6 around just in case you're ever looking for that heavy metal kick sound.

Try backing it off the head a little more maybe a little closer to the outside of the reso head. I usually put mine about 4 inches from the head slightly off axis and down at about a 30 degree angle but that gets me my metal sound which seems like what you don't want so just try moving it further from where the beater strikes the head.

The best placement I've found for the D6 is just inside the hole in the resonant head facing straight forward. Don't angle the mic at the beater. With this placement I get a nice punchy bass drum sound, not too clicky.

The D112 and the D6 both deliver the "Metal" Kick drum sound. If you don't want a clicky kick drum sound, I would suggest an EV RE27, or a Sennheiser MD421. Most of the "cheaper" Kick mics have that midboost built in to deliver that click.

Tim

VWYF11 said:
The best placement I've found for the D6 is just inside the hole in the resonant head facing straight forward. Don't angle the mic at the beater. With this placement I get a nice punchy bass drum sound, not too clicky.
Just got mine yesterday, and had a drummer friend come over and we used last night. Same placement worked really well for me. It's not the most natural kick sound, but mixes well and gets some serious low end.

Question, I'm in a metal band that needs a new kick mic. Which of of them give them MOST click (since that's the sound we are after)?

Thanks for all the responses. I did mess around with the placement more as well as the muffling inside the kick. I did end up putting it about 2 inches outside of the resonant hole facing forward and its not so clicky now. I also cranked the gain up more on my preamp and that made a big difference. Big freaking sound. Wow. The D6 can be super clicky if inside the kick just a few inches away from the beater. If you want that metal sound wishtheend than this mike is for you. With muffling and placed near the beater(s) it has TONS of click and a very sharp attack.

I am definately satisified with it now. I had to do some adjustments but the sound I was looking for is there now. Thanks!

I just bought a D6 today for shits and grins. I placed it in hole about 2" straight ahead as others have done. I sounds almost exactly like my old AKG D20. I'm pretty happy with it. I will say you can get a beter sound out of it without EQ than my ohter kick mic's without EQ.( D112, Beta 52 ,421)

Last edited:
"Just got mine yesterday, and had a drummer friend come over and we used last night. Same placement worked really well for me. It's not the most natural kick sound, but mixes well and gets some serious low end." MJAU
Funny, I thought it was a very natural kick sound. It to my ears sounded like my kick does from the drummers seat. You know how a kick will sound great while playing it and then you go to mic it and its like..what the hell is this! For me it captured the sound I hear right away.

I guess I meant in comparison to something like a 421, which isn't so scooped in the mids. The D6 is a great kick mic, for sure.

Back