Any Drum Software Like This?

Bassist84

Is there any drum software that is sort of like a sequencer with acoustic drum samples, but instead of (or in addition to) mapping the drum hits with a step-sequencer comprised of 16 slots per bar, you can use a recording function and place the location of the hits by pressing buttons on your keyboard or mouse, when you want to as the recording loops like with a physical drum machine with drum pads, but without any sort of quantizing?

Right now, I use FL Studio, and I'm getting a little annoyed with everything being in straight time. Sometimes I want a shuffle, or some hits to be slightly off... Yes, I can use the piano roll, or adjust the number of slots by bar or whatever, but no matter how hard I try, I can't seem to get the exact feel I'm going for.

So... Is there any drum software like this?

Thanks

I think you're asking about two different software packages; a drum synth and a midi editor (or DAW).

Drum software uses midi data to sequence the hits. You can use most any DAW programs (like Cubase, Sonar, or maybe FL) to record or edit the midi data.

Probably the most popular is the Toontrack stuff; Ezdrummer or Superior Drummer. They will come with many different rhythm files that you can use in your recording software. They will have different styles that cover stuff like shuffle, 6/8, etc. Plus you can edit to your heart's content.

For reference, all my stuff is done with ezdrummer or superior drummer. Nary a drum head was hit in the making of any of my tunes.

Get away from FL Studio if you wish to create natural music. By that I mean instrument based songs.

FL good for House/Trance/Crap music. Not good for rock or any genre that actually involves playing an instrument.

Welcome to the forum. Your user name makes me like you already. Many bass players are afraid to admit their shortcomings. lol!

I'm a bass player on Tuesdays myself. :)

Thanks. I should make it clear that I don't want to use any software with pre-recorded loops or anything. I want to create the whole sequence myself. I'm sorry if the programs you recommended don't act that way, that's just how I interpreted it.

I do understand DAW programs and plugins. If I need to use a combination to do what I want then I will, but I am ideally looking for a standalone software.

I was also hoping that the recording function of the program could be like a software drum machine with keyboard activated drum pads. Start loop by pressing the space bar, B = kick drum, S = snare, C = closed hi hat, etc. Press space again to end the loop... Or something to that effect.

You can also re-record over it, go through and edit the velocity of the different hits, etc. Export to wav, or .mp3, save it as a proprietary file extension, you name it.

Get away from FL Studio if you wish to create natural music. By that I mean instrument based songs.

FL good for House/Trance/Crap music. Not good for rock or any genre that actually involves playing an instrument.

Welcome to the forum. Your user name makes me like you already. Many bass players are afraid to admit their shortcomings. lol!

I'm a bass player on Tuesdays myself. :)

Thanks!

Yeah, ideally I want something to make my own natural sounding drums, with making some things sounding slightly off, or doing varying shuffle feels, etc. For me to play bass and guitar or keys along to for some solo recording... I'd love to pick up playing a real kit, but I know I'd struggle with finding the time to master the craft.

You play bass. Get an interface with a instrument input.

There are so many out there and I would be biased to recommend the ones that work for me.

But that said, I say get a UR22 and EZDrummer or SSD4. You will be able to create drum tracks that sound quite real and move forward with your writing.

I do have a Tascam US-122L interface. I'll take a closer look at those programs. I use Audacity as a recorder / light DAW, but I might something a bit more sophisticated to work with these different plugins. I'll look not that too. Thanks

There are a couple of ways of doing it.

Load a drum sample VSTi (e.g. Battery) into your software

Use a midi keyboard to 'play' the drums.

If you don't have a conventional piano keyboard, some applications (e.g. Reaper) will allow you to create a virtual piano keyboard on your computer's keyboard.

Back