$1200 +/- limit for drum mic's

xiwiwix

What are the best mics I can get for about $1200-/+ for close as possible to studio quality (clarity and full sounding) recordings. Yes I understand that the drums, drummer, and room have a lot to do with it. I'm worried about the mic's right now. Please help would be greatly appreciated.

This is what I already have:

Audio Technica ATM25 for Kick (two)
Audio Technica ATM23 for Tom (four)
Shure BETA57A (one)
Audio Technica ATM29HE (one)
Samson C02 (set)

I really missed up on the Samson's I'm told. :( I haven't had a chance to use them yet. I've been getting great sound out of what I already have, and I'm hoping to get an even better sound with better mics.

The ATM23 mics don't have enough punch, and the ATM25 don't have enough click on the kick. Could that be the room or the position? No matter what I do I still come out with the same results. The ATM23 sounds ok with the snare. The Beta57a is good close up on a china or ride.

I'm recording Metal Bands with big drum sets. One of the bands set to come in has one snare, five toms, two bass drums, one hi hat, and 8 symbols. That band before them has a similar set but with less toms and two high hats.

What I need:

Two overhead, maybe three
Four tom mic's
One snare mic
Two kick mics

I was thinking about these mics:

Studio Projects C4 for over head
MD421 For the toms and maybe Kick
Beyer M201 or SM57 for Snare

Take Care

tbone36109 said:
didnt you already post this in the microphone section?

Yeah, this is my first time on at Homerecording.com/bbs, so I don't know if different people get on different sections. I just want to make sure I can get all the help I can.

Take Care

Tell us what you are using to record with.
What kind of mixer are you using?
What are you recording on to?
How many tracks/channels are you using live for the drumkit?
What kind of processing gear are you using?

Here is what I would buy:

Kicks: AKG D112's (2 of them)
Overheads: MXL 603's(2)

And then try this layout:

Kicks: D112
Snare Beta57a
Overheads:603
Rack Toms: ATM23
Floor Toms: ATM25

Build a Kick drum tunnel in front of each kick (do a search here - it's been discussed many times) and put your kick mic inside the kick tunnel.
That will help tighten/clean up your kick sound.

I haven't used the C4's, so I can't comment on them, I do have the 603's and I love them to death. I used to have SM81's, and I prefer the 603's for Overheads.

For example - I make sure there is about 6"-12" between the tom mic's and the toms.... just to make sure they have a little room to breathe.
Most of your tom sound should come from the pair of overheads, with the close mic' just used for "fine tuning" of the sound.

If you want more punch out of the toms - once they are recorded gate and compress them. (I prefer recording unprocessed sounds, then processing afterwards.) If you record with compression be aware that it will make the cymbals louder in your drum mic's.

Tim

Thanks Tim.

I'm using a MOTU Firewire MkII for recording on to my computer. My computer specs are as followed:

AMD X2 4400+
4GB's RAM
2.0 TB HDD

I'm using the software mixer that came with my MOTU and Cubase SX. I've been using 7-8 tracks to record with. As of right now I have no processing, its all software.

I've been yielding great results with what I have, even better that what I expected with out cond overhead mics.

Take Care

xiwiwix said:
Yeah, this is my first time on at Homerecording.com/bbs, so I don't know if different people get on different sections. I just want to make sure I can get all the help I can.

Take Care
ok ill let ya slide ;)

another suggestion is instead of d112 i like audix d6 for the kicks they can get a nice modern metal sound, really big bottom end with alot of highs if you are trying to get alot of slap or metal click out of the bass drums, i know the d112 can do the same but i dont really like the highs as much as the d6 and the highs are usually big in metal (although dont get me wrong im sure you will be very satisfied the with d112 and if you plan on using it for bass cabs to the d112 is better)

Back