-10db attenuation switch and Bass roll-off switch on overhead mics

FLAW_88

Hi all!,

Im new here and also new to the home recording experience. Im a drummer and just purchased a drum mic kit. The two over head condensers have 2 switches on them. 1 is a -10 db attenuation switch and the other is a bass roll-off switch. This may sound very ignorant, but what do these switches do? and how does it change the sound? i have'nt had alot of time to play around with them.

Thanx,

FLAW_88

The attenuation switch decreases the sensitivity of the mic by 10dB. The output is 10dB lower. With many condensers the pad (attenuation) switch increases the maximum sound pressure level the mic can handle without distorting.

The bass roll-off switch decreases bass response. For overheads I usually use the bass roll-off.

Thanks! i guess im just confused as to what my particular condensers do. The labels look like this... 0 (UP) and -10DB (DOWN) and the bass roll of looks like... (UP) - and (DOWN) /- Which means on and which means off?!

In both cases (DOWN) = on: 10dB pad engaged or bass cut engaged. The little straight and bent lines for the bass cut are tiny representations of the frequency response, so one is flat and one rolls off toward the low end.

Back